Friday 30 November 2007

My work - ceramic pod brooch


3 pod brooch, ceramic & titanium, 1993
(actual piece hangs vertically)

These, like so much of my work, were meant to be glazed white on the outside but when I realised glazes were environmentally un-friendly I stopped glazing anything. Instead, I biscuit fired them inside one of my large copper pods while I was annealling it (that's when you heat the metal to make it more pliable for working). I burned some paper in each pod to create a smoky dark interior. Some pieces were later painted instead using other people's leftover paint. Because they have only had a low firing they are still quite breakable and proably unsuitable for wearing, but I liked that. I fired the other groups fully but I kept this set like this as a small sculpture with the real fragility that found pod cases often have.

7 comments:

Ursula Achten said...

So beautiful, your idea of handling a piece of jewellery with the same respect and carefulness like a found piece of nature.
Living pieces change a lot :)

redredday said...

hi Cally, this is beautiful!! ditto what Uschi said. i love how fragile and 'raw' it is. often find a lot of ceramic work to have too much of that finished/stylized/designy look. yours is real.

i actually came here from your comment at Marjojo and just want to tell you how glad i am to hear you are feeling more like your old [creative?] self again! i've been out kinda sick the past few days and i kept thinking about how anyone is able to do anything at all when they are physically not feeling well. i marveled at Marjojo and now, you. all i did was sleep and sleep, and then only getting up to eat and eat.

and thank you for the tag! i enjoyed reading the random things about you. glad to have seen the picture of you before you took it down. i currently do not really have any random things about myself to share so will wait til the urge strikes. :).

looking forward to see your new crochet work!

Lynette said...

Hello! I wanted to let you know, I've tagged you to share 5 random things about yourself on your blog. I know you're busy , but if you want, you can see the rules on my blog - if not, no biggie!

Susan Schwake said...

so beautiful cally. your concern and care for the earth shines from your work. i love these.

Babelfish said...

This is so delicate and beautiful.

belvedere beads said...

exquisite - visually and aestheically.

sulu-design said...

I'm discovering it very late - but I love it. Gorgeous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...